Molly background

Sunday, September 12, 2010

My First Quilt

This was my first quilt I did.  I made this memory quilt for my oldest son and his now wife for their Jack & Jill Shower.  I don't know what I was thinking.  One, trying to do a quilt without a pattern for your very first quilt is just a little crazy.  Two, it involves pictures of a few different sizes so things did not line up perfectly, but for my very first attempt, no pattern, and no one to ask for quidance I just winged it.

I think most of my time was spent looking thru sooo many pictures trying to decide which ones on wanted on the quilt.  So many to choose from, but had to narrow it down.  Once I did that, I printed out the ones I wanted, and taped paper around the pictures as a border (my material). I am more a visual person. 

Then I spent so much time figuring on how I wanted them placed.  My husband and youngest son would come home from scouts to find me kneeling at the side of my bed, thinking I was praying (I was at times), laying out all the different pictures to see which way I liked them layed out better.

Once I had that straight in my head, I was on a roll.  The kids loved it.  At some point though I do have to do it all over again.  The product I used for the pictures was not a washable product. (This was done some time ago.)  And now they have some very good products out that you can wash.  This quilt if you just get a smidge of water on it, it will ruin it.  My friend Barb, at "A Corgi to Quilt By", gave me such great advice when I did my youngest son's Eagle Scout quilt and she turned me onto a wonderful product that I will have to redo this quilt with.   Here are a few more pictures of the finished quilt!
Enjoy your day!
Bren



1 comment: